Here’s a great way to introduce interested individuals to hunting.
A mentored hunting license is available to a resident or nonresident who:
- Has never successfully completed a hunter safety
- Has never held a hunting license in Vermont or any
other state or province.
The cost for the mentored hunting license
- Resident - $10.00
- Nonresident - $10.00
To purchase a mentored hunting license:
- A mentored hunting license may be purchased online, at any license agent or district office, or through the mail to our Montpelier mailing
NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MENTORED HUNTING
A person issued a mentored hunting license
may hunt when:
- Accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older who
holds a current year Vermont hunting license. In these circumstances, the
term “accompanied” means that the mentored hunter is in the direct control
and supervision of the fully licensed adult hunter and is within 15 feet
of the fully licensed adult hunter.
- A parent or legal guardian has also signed the
license if the applicant is 15 years old or younger.
The fully licensed adult hunter may take
afield only one person at a time who holds a mentored hunting license and shall
sign and date the mentored hunting license at the time of the hunt.
- A person holding a mentored hunting license is
subject to the bag limit of the fully licensed adult accompanying hunter.
When game is taken by a person holding a mentored hunting license, it
shall be deemed taken by the fully licensed adult accompanying hunter.
- After tagging and reporting game, if required, a
person who holds a mentored hunting license may, unaccompanied by
the fully licensed adult hunter, transport game he or she has taken.
LIMITATIONS AND PENALTIES FOR VIOLATION
A person who holds a mentored hunting
license is not eligible to hold a moose permit or accompany moose hunters or
participate in youth deer or youth turkey hunting weekends. Also:
- A person who holds a mentored hunting license who is
16 or older is required to purchase and carry a federal duck stamp in
order to hunt waterfowl.
- A mentored hunting license is available for only two
separate calendar years.
Fines for a violation of this section or
any fish and wildlife law are doubled
and assessed against the fully licensed adult hunter accompanying the mentored
license hunter. Points for the violation(s) will be assessed against the fully
licensed adult hunter.