In place of the previously scheduled in-person meetings, the department is holding electronic public hearings to solicit input on deer and moose on the following dates from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. through the following means:
Monday, April 13, 2020 – Through computer: zoom.us/j/787469027, AND conference call: 929-436-2866, meeting ID: 787-469-027
Wednesday, April 15, 2020 – Through computer: zoom.us/j/512423816, AND conference call: 929-436-2866 , meeting ID: 512-423-816
Thursday, April 16, 2020 – Through computer: zoom.us/j/781441147, AND conference call: 929-436-2866, meeting ID: 781-441-147
To participate via smartphone or tablet, download the free Zoom Cloud Meeting App and enter the appropriate 9-digit meeting ID. Please note that conference call number is the same for all meetings, but each meeting has a unique ID number and weblink. Be sure to use the correct information for the meeting you are joining.
The meetings will start with a 30-minute pre-recorded presentation on the proposed prescriptive 2020 moose hunting season and current health status of Vermont’s deer herd. The presentation is available for viewing below.
The public hearings will have department staff and Fish and Wildlife Board members participating. Public comments and questions will be taken at the electronic meetings over the computer and over the phone but can also be provided at any time by sending them to ANR.FWPublicComment@vermont.gov.
Responses to themes of these questions and comments expressed at the public hearings will be compiled and presented to the Fish and Wildlife Board before its April 22, 2020 meeting. The department will also post these responses on its deer and moose hearing on this webpage as soon as possible.
Public comment on the moose season recommendation will be taken until April 19, 2020.
Public comment on deer will be taken until May 16, 2020.
This pre-recorded presentation was made by department biologists to help solicit public input that normally would be gathered through an in-person hearing. Please view this recording and the other information posted on this page and take a moment to consider the focus questions listed below.
Moose Focus Questions:
- What are your comments on the status and health of Vermont’s moose population and the proposal for 2020 moose permit numbers?
- What additional strategies should the department pursue or expand to improve moose health in Vermont?
Please email your comments and questions about moose to ANR.FWPublicComment@vermont.gov. Public comment on the moose season recommendation will be taken until April 19 2020.
Deer Focus Questions:
- What are your comments on the status and health of Vermont’s deer population and prospects for the 2020 seasons? Include any specific comments the department should consider when preparing the 2020 antlerless harvest and youth season recommendation.
- Do you have any feedback for the department on the current youth deer hunting weekend?
Please email your comments and questions aout deer to ANR.FWPublicComment@vermont.gov. Public comment on deer is being taken until May 16, 2020.
Moose Related Information
- 2020 Moose Season Recommendation Overview
- Moose Population Study Summary | PDF
White-tailed Deer Related Information
- 2019 White-tailed Deer Harvest Report | PDF
- 2019 White-tailed Deer Regulation Changes Summary
- Comprehensive Deer Management Evaluation - Final Report | PDF
- Chronic Wasting Disease
Big Game Related Information
- 2020-2030 Draft Big Game Management Plan | PDF
- 2019 Black Bear Harvest Summary | PDF
- 2019 Wild Turkey Harvest Summary | PDF
Habitat Related Information