Here’s a great way to introduce interested individuals to hunting. A mentored hunting license is available to a resident or nonresident who:
- Has never successfully completed a hunter safety course.
- Has never held a hunting license in Vermont or any other state or province.
The cost for the mentored hunting license is:
- Resident - $10.00
- Nonresident - $10.00
To purchase a mentored hunting license:
- A mentored hunting license may be purchased online, at any license agent or district office, or through the mail to our Montpelier mailing address.
What You Need to Know About Mentored Hunting
A person issued a mentored hunting license may hunt when:
- Accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older who holds a current year Vermont hunting license. In these circumstances, the term “accompanied” means that the mentored hunter is in the direct control and supervision of the fully licensed adult hunter and is within 15 feet of the fully licensed adult hunter.
- A parent or legal guardian has also signed the license if the applicant is 15 years old or younger.
The fully licensed adult hunter may take afield only one person at a time who holds a mentored hunting license and shall sign and date the mentored hunting license at the time of the hunt.
- A person holding a mentored hunting license is subject to the bag limit of the fully licensed adult accompanying hunter. When game is taken by a person holding a mentored hunting license, it shall be deemed taken by the fully licensed adult accompanying hunter.
- After tagging and reporting game, if required, a person who holds a mentored hunting license may, unaccompanied by the fully licensed adult hunter, transport game he or she has taken.
Limitations and Penalties for Violations
A person who holds a mentored hunting license is not eligible to hold a moose permit or accompany moose hunters or participate in youth deer or youth turkey hunting weekends. Also:
- A person who holds a mentored hunting license who is 16 or older is required to purchase and carry a federal duck stamp in order to hunt waterfowl.
- A mentored hunting license is available for only two separate calendar years.
Fines for a violation of this section or any fish and wildlife law are doubled and assessed against the fully licensed adult hunter accompanying the mentored license hunter. Points for the violation(s) will be assessed against the fully licensed adult hunter.