Help celebrate 100 years of the department's Wildlife Management Areas by entering our art contest commemorating Vermont’s legacy of wildlife-based recreation and healthy lands and waters.
Sandbar Wildlife Management Area in Milton was designated the state’s first Wildlife Management Area (WMA) in 1920. 100 years later Vermont now has 100 WMAs protecting more than 130,000 acres of lands and waters that provide critical habitat for native plants and animals as well as opportunities for wildlife-based recreation.
How To Get Involved
- Check out one of our Wildlife Management Area online or visit one near you. (Visiting a WMA is optional but if you do visit a WMA, please practice respectful social distancing precautions and follow WMA regulations.)
- Create a piece of art about one or all Vermont WMAs.
- Submit work that can be shared digitally. This may include painting, drawing, collage, photograph, poetry, audio, video, or (documentation of) sculpture or performance, or anything else that can be shared digitally.*
- Images can be submitted as .pdf, .jpg, .tiff.
- Text should be submitted in a .doc or .docx format.
- Audio and video (please limit to 3 minutes) must be supported by Windows Media Player.
- Submit your art on, or before, October 9, 2020 by emailing documentation of the work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Art submission” in the subject line of your email and include the following:
- Your name
- Title of the piece (and any other important information about it)
- Which WMA your piece is based on if applicable
- If you are under the age of 18, your birthdate
- Submissions will be taken for five age groups:
- 0-5 years old
- 6-8 years (grades 1-4)
- 9-13 years (grades 5-8)
- 14-17 years (grades 9-12)
- Adults (18 years+)
Prizes will include:
- 1st place winners (school-aged only): $300 each in 3 age categories (grades 3-4, 5-8, and 9-12)
- 2nd place winners (school-aged only): $200 each in 3 age categories (grades 3-4, 5-8, and 9-12)
- 3rd place winners (school-aged only): $100 each in 3 age categories (grades 3-4, 5-8, and 9-12)
Cash prizes provided by the Vermont Federation of Sportsman’s clubs and Vermont Trappers Association
Prizes for adults will be include a variety of other items/experiences such as a Vermont WMA guide, Wetland-Woodland-Wildland book, Green Mountain Conservation Camp discounts, and lunch with a scientist.
Prizes for children under the above age categories will include a mug or patch.
Winners will be announced on November 6, 2020.
*By submitting your work, you are giving the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department permission to share your work via social media and other digital outlets, including references to the work and reproductions of the image in any press releases. You waive any copyright claims as to the publication of your artwork by the Fish & Wildlife Department in connection with this art contest and the 100th anniversary of the WMA system in Vermont. Fish & Wildlife Department staff and families, and retirees are not eligible for the contest.