Skip to main content

Boating in Vermont

Boating in Vermont can’t be beat. Hundreds of lakes and ponds and thousands of miles of rivers mean you are never far from boatable waters.

Find an Access Area          Reprint Your Boater Safety Certificate

Check out these links for everything you need to get out and enjoy Vermont’s waters. Education | Waterbody Information


Vermont Boating Handbook

Handbook Thumbnail
Safe boating is no accident. The handbook introduces you to Vermont laws governing boating and provides general information about safe vessel operation.

Boating Safety Online Education Course

boating class card
Vermont law requires all motorized boat and PWC operators born after January 1, 1974, to pass a boater safety course and to carry a boater education card. Click this link for a Vermont–approved online boating license course. For information on other course options visit Vermont State Police.

If you lost your Boating Safety Certificate and need to get a new one, the easiest way to obtain a new certificate is to fill out this form. It will lookup and create a new certificate for you to print.

Reprint Your Boater Safety Certificate

Upcoming In-person Courses

boating class card
Information about scheduled in-person boating safety courses will be posted here when courses are being held. Check back for updates as new classes are scheduled. 

Williston Recreation - Instructor: Jon Fick
Location: 3294 St. George Road, Williston | map
Dates: April 29, May 1, 6, 8, 2024 
Time: 6:00pm – 8:30pm
More information and registration 


Woodard Marine – Instructor: Rob Sterling
Location: Woodard Marine, 615 Creek Rd. Hydeville, VT 05750 | map
Questions: Contact Rob Sterling at Woodard Marine (802)-265-3690 or email

Dates: April 17 – 18, 2024
Time: 9:00 am – 2:00 pm


Dates: June 19 – 20, 2024
Time: 9:00 am – 2:00 pm


Dates: August 10 and 17, 2024
Time: 10:00 am – 3:00 pm


Dates: September 14 and 21, 2024
Time: 10:00 am – 3:00 pm



The Vermont Agency of Natural Resources (ANR) operates its programs, services, and activities without discriminating on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin (including limited English proficiency), ancestry, place of birth, disability, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or breastfeeding (mother and child). Reasonable accommodations are available on request at no cost to the student.  Please include a description of the accommodation you will need.  Individuals making such requests must include their contact information.  Requests should be made as early as possible, for example an interpreter must be requested at least two weeks in advance.  Please send an e-mail to: or call 802-279-9058 


Waterbody Information

Fishing Access Areas

fishing access sign
With more than 200 access areas, public access to launch your craft for a great day on the water is closer than you might think!

Lake and Pond Depth Charts

pond depth chart
Printable maps showing the depths of many of Vermont’s lakes and ponds.

Vermont Use of Public Waters Rules

warden checking a motor boat
These rules establish a number of general management rules to protect normal uses on all lakes, ponds and reservoirs.

Stop the Spread of Aquatic Invasive Species

clean waters sign
Boating and fishing can be the primary means for aquatic invasive species to “hitch a ride” between waterbodies. Learn more about the species of primary concern.

Before moving boats between waterbodies:

CLEAN off any mud, plants, and animals from boat, trailer, motor and other equipment. Discard removed material in a trash receptacle or on high, dry ground where there is no danger of them washing into any water body.

DRAIN all water from boat, boat engine, and other equipment away from the water.

DRY anything that comes into contact with the water. Drying boat, trailer and equipment in the sun for at least five days is recommended if rinsing your boat, trailer parts and other equipment with hot, high pressure water is not an option.

Registering Your Boat

silhouette of a motor boat
A Vermont Certificate of Registration and validation stickers are needed to operate any vessel propelled by a motor legally on the public waters of Vermont.

Registration/title and validation sticker application forms are available from the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles.