Skip to main content

Human-Wildlife Conflicts Resources

raccoon in the garbage

Bats in the attic, bears in the beehives, deer eating the beans, raccoons in the garbage: the list of wildlife problems goes on.

Many wildlife species can cause conflicts under certain circumstances. Here are some resources to help resolve human-wildlife conflicts.

U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal Damage Control Unit

Berlin, Vermont   Phone number:  802-223-8690 or visit their website.

Living with Black Bears

Learn how to avoid conflicts with bears.

Managing Human-Beaver Conflicts

Beaver dams benefit many wildlife species but they can create problems for humans. Learn more about beavers and the department’s management effort to reduce the risk of property damage and minimize the impacts on important wildlife habitat associated with beaver ponds, when beaver and beaver dams are removed.

Living with Bats

Learning to live with bats will help with the long-term conservation of bats.

Rattlesnake Response Program

Vermont’s Rattlesnake Response Program is a FREE service that aims to protect Vermont residents and Timber Rattlesnakes by safely moving nuisance rattlesnakes away from private and public property. 

Here is a trusted source for sound, legal and responsible wildlife control and damage prevention advice.

Wildlife Control Trappers

The department has a list of licensed trappers whom are willing to assist landowners with certain types of human-wildlife conflicts. To find a trapper:

  • Call Wildlife Services at (802) 223-8690
  • Email MaryBeth Adler or call (802) 289-0629 
  • Visit the Springfield district office at 100 Mineral Street, Suite 302, Springfield, VT  05156-3168

Wildlife Depredation Permit

Wildlife depredation permits are issued under the authority of 10 V.S.A §4138. Depredation permits are issued only to properly accredited persons or institutions for the purposes of preventing the propagation of game or food fish and may take, permit or cause to be taken at any time wild animals which are doing damage.

Applications for a depredation permit shall only be submitted after non-lethal management proves unsuccessful. If a permit is issued, permittees will be expected to continue to integrate non-lethal techniques when implementing any lethal measures. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply. Allow up to 30 days following the determination that the application is complete for application processing.

For authorization to addle resident Canada goose eggs and destroy nests: register at the federal Resident Canada Goose Registration site ( Registration will count as your state depredation permit if you follow all the federal requirements.