Threatened & Endangered Species Takings Permit

Threatened & Endangered Species Takings Permits may be issued by the Secretary of the Agency of Natural Resources for the "taking" of plants or animals listed as Threatened or Endangered in Vermont pursuant to 10 V.S.A. § 5408 and 10 V.S.A. App. § 10 after obtaining the advice of the Endangered Species Committee.

When May a Threatened & Endangered Species Permit Be Issued?

T&E Permits may be issued for the following purposes:

  • scientific purposes;
  • educational purposes;
  • incidental taking;
  • to enhance the propagation or survival of a threatened or endangered species;
  • zoological exhibition; or
  • special purposes consistent with the purposes of the Federal Endangered Species Act.

Who Can Apply For a Permit?

Applications may be submitted by anyone, including researchers, exhibitors, municipalities and private companies amongst others.

What is the Definition of "Take"?

The definition of "take" is very broad and includes everything from killing a plant or animal to transplanting a plant or any activity that could be construed as harrassing an animal.

For wildlife, Title 10 V.S.A. §4001(23) of the Vermont statutes defines take and taking as: "pursuing, shooting, hunting, killing, capturing, trapping, snaring, and netting fish, birds and quadrupeds and all lesser acts, such as disturbing, harrying or worrying or wounding or placing, setting, drawing or using any net or other device commonly used to take fish or wild animals, whether they result in the taking or not; and shall include every attempt to take and every act of assistance to every other person in taking or attempting to take fish or wild animals, provided that when taking is allowed by law, reference is had to taking by lawful means and in lawful manner."

For plants, in accordance with 10 V.S.A. §5401(14) "taking" means uprooting, transplanting, cutting, injuring or killing or any attempt to do the same or assisting another who is doing or is attempting to do the same.

Permits in Public Comment Period

There are no permits currently open for public comment.

Public Hearing

No public hearings are currently scheduled.

How do I submit comments or questions on a permit?

Comments or questions may be submitted by email to
or comments by regular mail to:

Comments c/o
Permits Administrator
Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department
Commissioner's Office
1 National Life Building, Dewey Building
Montpelier, Vermont 05620-3208

Recent Permits

See also:

Contact Us

Vermont Department of Fish & Wildlife
Commissioner Louis Porter

1 National Life Drive
Fish & Wildlife LogoDewey Building
Montpelier, VT 05620-3208

Staff Directory

Connect with Us

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon