Volunteers with the Let's Go Fishing Program encourage and teach young people and their families how to fish, emphasizing that fishing is more than just catching fish.
Become a Volunteer
Volunteers are needed to expand the Let’s Go Fishing Program to all areas of the state. Two options are available:
- Certified Instructors – You will complete a six hour training program and learn the basics of hosting your own Let’s Go Fishing event.
- Instructor Assistants – You help certified instructors with the clinics by teaching parts of the clinic or helping to keep the event running smoothly.
For Educators - Bring it to Your Classroom
The Let’s Go Fishing Program is a great addition to any classroom. It is useful for teaching:
- physical education
Special training is available to guide educators through the curriculum, and show you how to use it effectively.
Benefits of Becoming an Instructor:
- Access to equipment for use on programs including fishing rods, tackle, educational aids and more.
- No fishing license is needed for participants while participating in the clinic.
- Insurance coverage during the clinic.
- Support from department educational staff and State Game Wardens.
Register for a Training!
There is no fee to become an instructor or take the training.
Saturday, April 20, 2024 | 8:30am-3:00pm
FW Essex Regional Office, 111 West Street, Essex VT 05452 | map
Partnership with Castleton University
If you are an educator needing professional development credits we now offer the training as part of a one-credit course through Castleton University called Experiential Education in Aquatic Ecology and Habitat Conservation. This is a great option for teachers that want to bring aquatic education into the classroom and also need continuing education credits. Registration for the one-credit course is through Castleton University: Email email@example.com for more information.
FAQS About Being a Let's Go Fishing Instructor
Is prior fishing experience needed to be an instructor?
Absolutely not! During the instructor training we start from the basics and work our way up so that all instructors are teaching the material at the same level.
How intensive is the instructor training process?
All instructors are inquired to participate on a one day in-person training. After the training all instructors must pass a mandatory background check.
Do instructors need to provide their own equipment?
No, all equipment is provided by the Let’s Go Fishing Program. Participants are welcome to bring their own if they prefer.
If you are over 18 and would like to share your love of fishing contact the program coordinator:
Let's Go Fishing Program
Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department
636 Point of Pines Road
Castleton, VT 05735
- Let's Go Fishing Program
- Let's Go Fishing Instructor Resources
Downloadable copies of clinic proposals, timesheets and more.
- Upcoming Fishing Events