In-person hunter, bowhunter, and trapper education courses are now available on a limited basis. All instructors are volunteers and may not be ready to teach courses yet. Specific COVID guidelines MUST be followed by students at all times during classes including:
- Students must bring their own mask and wear it during the class;
- Students must maintain physical distancing during the class, unless students have been quarantining together;
- All students must register for the class (if a parent/guardian wants to attend with their child, the parent MUST register);
- Students must bring their own water/food;
- In-person classes will be limited to 25 students or 50% of the location capacity.
Hunter Education Online Certification
Online only certification for hunter education is now available and free for Vermont residents. A minimum age requirement of 12 years for online-only hunter education course, bowhunter education course and trapper education correspondence course becomes effective on October 1.
Students will receive their online certification card when they complete the online course. After that they will be eligible to purchase a hunting license in Vermont or any of the 50 US states, Canada, and Mexico. If students would like their orange card in addition, or if a replacement card is needed, students may contact the Vermont Hunter Education Program at HunterEducation@vermont.gov.
Requests for exemptions to the age requirement for online classes should be made directly to the Hunter Education Program by calling (802) 828-1193 or emailing HunterEducation@vermont.gov. Exemptions will be considered for those youth age 12 and under that are immuno-compromised or are otherwise unable to attend in-person classes.
An online only option for Trapper Education is now available. If you are interested in obtaining your trapper education certification, please e-mail HunterEducation@vermont.gov with the subject “Trapper Education Correspondence Course.” The material will be e-mailed to you. If you prefer a paper option, that is also available.
An online-only bowhunter education course to obtain a bowhunter certification is now available. Hunter Education Certification and Bow Hunter Education Certification are both required to purchase a valid Vermont Bow Hunting License.
- Complete the online homework here: www.bowhunter-ed.com/vermont/
- Sign up for the online course here: register-ed.com/programs/vermont/110-vermont-bowhunter-education-course
- Complete all of the materials in the confirmation e-mail you receive (make sure to check your junk mail for the e-mail) including:
- Watch videos
- Complete a final exam
- Certification card will be mailed to you within 2 weeks
Use the links below to replace your hunter ed card, learn how to become an instructor, and more.
Lost your orange card? Search our database and print a new hunter education card.
Vermont’s Hunter Education Program is always looking for volunteer instructors to teach hunting, bowhunting or trapping education. Learn what it takes to become an instructor.
Already an Instructor? Check out this page to schedule a class, find training aids and get exclusive deals for being a volunteer instructor.
Get the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Hunter Ed.
Contact Us for More Information
Vermont Hunter Education Program
Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department
1 National Life Drive, Dewey Building
Montpelier VT 05620-3208