Novice Turkey Hunting Weekend occurs on the same weekend as Youth Spring Turkey Hunting Weekend – the Saturday and Sunday before the opening day of the spring turkey season on May 1. To participate, you must:
- Be 16 years of age or older and have successfully completed a Hunter Education Course. Hunter Education Courses from other states are accepted.
- You also must purchase your first hunting or combination license within one year of the first day of the Novice Turkey Hunting Weekend.
The “one-year” requirement must be met for both days of the Novice Turkey Hunting Season. Depending on the date of purchase, a person may qualify for just one day of the two-day Novice Season. Please plan ahead and keep these dates in mind when purchasing your first hunting or combination license.
As novice hunter, you are required to hold a valid Vermont resident hunting or combination license and a turkey hunting license, or a Vermont non-resident hunting or combination license and a turkey hunting license.
You must also obtain a Novice Turkey Hunting Weekend tag, which is available wherever licenses are sold, or from the department’s on-line licensing system.
One bearded turkey.
Need to Know
- You must be accompanied by an unarmed adult (18 years of age or older) who also holds a valid Vermont resident hunting or combination license or Vermont non-resident hunting or combination license. Landowner license exception does NOT apply to novice deer hunting weekend.
- Shooting hours for the weekend are one half hour before sunrise to 5 p.m.
- The Novice Turkey Hunting Weekend tag is only valid for the Novice Turkey Hunting Weekend.
If your are going to hunt on private land, prior permission from the landowner is required.
- A hunter accompanying a novice shall accompany no more than two novice hunters at one time.
- You must report the turkey within 48 hours.
See Vermont Fish & Wildlife Regulations for specific rules about turkey hunting.
Nice to Know
This turkey does not count towards your regular season spring limit of two bearded turkeys.