The Baitfish Regulation:
- Establishes an east and a west baitfish zone within which baitfish can be used (not between).
- Establishes a list of black-list waters that have high fish disease or invasive species risk. Baitfish can be used on these waters but may not be used on other waters.
- Extends the time that baitfish transportation receipts are valid from 4 days to 10 days.
- Establishes new baitfish holding rules that account for baitfish zones and black-list waters.
- Allows anglers to harvest and move approved wild baitfish species from waterbodies through a wild baitfish endorsement that can be added at no cost to an angler’s fishing/combination license.
- Allows commercial baitshops to harvest approved wild baitfish species from a baitfish zone (i.e rainbow smelt, white sucker, etc.) and sell them to anglers for use in that same baitfish zone.
Use this link to learn about the rules for anglers who purchase their bait from a dealer.
Use this link to learn the rules for harvesting your own wild caught bait and getting a wild baitfish endorsement.
Use this link to learn the rules governing Commercial Baitfish Dealers.